Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Moving isn't fun

I thought I should give a little travel log for the last few weeks (or months) since it has turned a bit comical.

Redge decided to take a job with Dupont. Long story short, things just landed in our favor to move to the Boise area. This all happened starting with an interview (in Denver) squished in between scout camp with Rhett and the priests high adventure (both were several hours away.) We knew within a few weeks that we were moving. Before all this started rolling we decided to remodel the master bathroom. We put things into high gear to get that project done before our family reunions the first of August. We accomplished that goal... even got to use the shower before we left.

Once Redge quit, he had some time to help with house preparation. All was cleaned and beautiful by the end of August. We listed the house and headed out to Idaho for reunions and then to go and look for a house. We were making decisions week by week and rolling with new information.

Our two week trip to Idaho turned into a 5 week trip because of Redge's need to be in Idaho and the expense of flying home to Apex. The poor ward was in limbo with the counselors covering for Redge. We found a house the second week in August, yeah! Then we spent our time with family - felt like a long vacation. We helped mom clean and visited the new house in Meridian and go the kids registered for school. All was rolling forward.

The fun all started with me flying out to Apex with Emma and Mom took over being me so the kids could start school. Redge was in SLC for work meetings all week. I dropped the kids off at school and flew out later that day with the only instructions to mom that she would have to figure it out because I just didn't know anything yet. We got things all packed up with the movers and then the kids and Redge showed up on Saturday night. We had a tearful weekend of saying goodbye and Redge being released from Bishop.

The night before we flew out, Emma started fevering. Oh I knew this wasn't going to be fun flying with a sick baby. About 11:30 p.m. Redge got up and bought us some meds for her to get through the night. We made it to Amy's with a cat in tow about 5:00 the next night, Monday. Tuesday we made it through the day, Eli went to his first scout den meeting. He came home and was playing on the swings. I was going to go with Amy to help her set up for a church meeting. Redge had just come in with Eli and was getting my instructions thrown at him. Just as I was getting ready to leave, Rhett came running out telling me that Dad needed me.

Sometimes you can just tell by the sound of their voice that something is really wrong. I ran out back and Eli was laying on the ground with his arm in a crazy position. He had been laying there telling Emma to come and get me because he was going to die. I think she was in so much shock that she couldn't move. Redge heard all this from the kitchen and thought he was teasing and yelled something to the effect when he really looked out there at Eli and could see something was wrong. Redge picked him up and rushed him out to the hospital.

When the ER Doctor asked Eli what he had been doing, Eli responded that he was playing Superman off the swings (swinging as high as he could and then jumping off). Without hesitation, the doctor said 'oh, superman forgot his cape, huh.' Oh we have chuckled and teased about superman and his cape.

After putting Eli under, the ER doctor couldn't set the arm completely. He could get one bone but not the other. So they casted him and then gave us orders to call the orthopedic surgeon. Wednesday they tried again, couldn't set it. They needed to do surgery. It wasn't until Thursday that they finally put him under and gave him some good muscle relaxants to get that bone to set right. The meds took longer than the actual setting did. Whew finally. Now just to get the swelling down for the real cast in a week.

In the meantime, we have been medicating Emma, who was sort of rallying around. We took her to the Doctor who said she had croup. She is still coughing today (week later). Then on Wednesday we found out that our new house had a leak under the kitchen sink that ran all the way into the basement. Oh brother. So then we had to deal with that complication. It is in the process of getting fixed now. Then we were worried about money getting to closing. There was a mix up with the relo counselor about that information. ugh! We closed on Friday with enough time to take ownership.

Then we found out that they moving truck could only move us in on Sunday. Gulp! Really? There was no way around this one... so we moved in. I ran the crew at the house and Redge took the big kids to church. "When you moving in? Today. Today? Yup" Oh boy.

Then as I was trying hard not to break the Sabbath anymore, I went to warm up some lasgne in the oven - it wouldn't heat. I had started it and assumed it would heat up. Well about 25 minutes later, I wasn't seeing the temp go any higher than Lo. Gulp, now what?? The movers got sandwiches. Oven repair people are coming tomorrow. (shouldn't this be the old owners responsiblity?? UGH!)

Monday the phone guy came and crawled all through the crawl space to get our phone line set up in the room we wanted it in as well as a second line. He deserved some cookies from my oven that didn't work!! Then the TV guy showed up about 2 and around 6 I was starting to wonder when he would leave. I was unpacking boxes but I kind of was waiting to warm up some leftovers when he left. I gave up when he said there was a problem and his boss was coming. They didn't leave until 8:30. I was totally putting my kids to bed. When he came this morning to finish, he found out it was because they hadn't updated our address to the new address on the receiver information. 10 minutes and he was done here. That poor guy!! wish I could have baked him some cookies too!!

Last night as I was bathing Eli I noticed his other wrist was really bruised and puffy. He had been favoring that wrist and I was hoping it was just sprained. Ugh! I think it is broken too. I remade the appointment for tomorrow at 3 instead of Thursday morning. I bought him a wrap to stabilize that wrist too. If it weren't so comical, I would be crying. I just can't believe we have had such trama. And this isn't including all the mess of trying to find things that are in boxes and the "what did they do with" or "oh why did they pack this like this" And "where are my sheets, mom?" I am just glad I had an unpacked kitchen so I could function Monday morning.

Tonight as we were reading scriptures, I just felt like all is going to be well. It is going to be a great day tomorrow!

3 comments:

Brian and Krista said...

BAHAHAHAHA!!! Oh my heck I had no idea! This made me laugh hard.I know, I'm a little evil. ;) Sorry moving was so traumatic! Poor Eli! I hope his wrist isn't broken!

Blake and Tristan said...

Oh Cyndee, I am so sorry. I had only heard a little bit of this from your mom and dad. You would never imagine that so many things could go wrong for one family in such a small amount of time. I hope things start looking up soon. I hope Eli's wrist isn't broken. Good Luck.

Kristi said...

Wow! Cyndee...what an ordeal you have been through! On the good side, Boise!! yay! It's great you are back closer to family and friends. I hope this will be a hilarious story in 5 - 10 years!! Your sense of humor will carry you through! Best of luck to you all...hope Eli is patched up soon, and all will heal well. I will have to find out exactly where you are. I go through Boise ALOT! Would love to see you and say Hi again!